Friday, July 1, 2011

"Since I Gave Up Hope I Feel A Lot Better"

  Those are some of the lyrics from an old Steve Taylor song.  I don't remember the rest of the words, or even the theme of the song, but that one line came to mind as I thought about the fact that I had recently-- since my last blog entry-- tendered my membership withdrawal letter to the local church and denomination in which I had been embedded all my life.  It was a nine-page letter, because there were some things I felt needed to be said, so I said them.  And I felt a lot better.
  By the way, The Pew Research Center, from a survey they conducted of evangelical leaders last October at the Lausanne Conference, reports that "82% say evangelicals are losing influence in the United States today."
  The "Gave Up Hope" part of my title, at least in my mind, refers to the extended sabbatical I've been taking since my exit from the church, a break from the futile attempt to change the system from within.  I've realized that there's a lot that I can do to make the personal changes that I need to to engage my secular neighbors, but I can't make anyone else's decisions for them, so I quit trying.  I identify with Jesus when he concedes to the Pharisees that they will not change, they prefer the old wine.
  So, having given up on them, I feel a lot better.
  
  And I think that means that my blog posts will have a more positive air about them from now on.  Having put the institution in my rear view mirror, I'm now going to focus on what's ahead for myself and my fellow revolutionaries.  The Lord is always at work in the world.  God is doing a new thing!  And I'm bent on being right in the middle of it!
  Since I've found new hope, I feel a lot better!

No comments: