Sunday, February 27, 2011

Re-constructing the Brownies

  I just finished reading a wonderful re-constructive book by Reggie McNeal titled, The Present Future, Six Tough Questions for the Church (2003).  I found a bit of hope in this book, because McNeal lists many possible strategies that could help the church adapt to the changing culture.
  But first he assures us that "...it's later than you think.  The missional renewal of the North American church is essential to its future.  I am convinced that most expressions of the institutional church in America will not survive the emerging world.  If that sounds threatening to you, then you may be more in love with the church than you are with Jesus.  You need to take this up with him."
  He continues, "I believe Jesus is the hope of the world.  I believe God has called out a people to make sure the world knows this.  These people are the church.  Jesus has promised that hell will not be able to stand against it.
  "I just wish hell were the problem."


  Here are the six New Realities that McNeal cites:
1. The Collapse of the Church Culture
2. The Shift from Church Growth to Kingdom Growth
3. A New Reformation: Releasing God's People
4. The Return to Spiritual Formation
5. The Shift from Planning to Preparation
6. The Rise of Apostolic Leadership
  In his chapter on Releasing God's People the author beautifully describes the postmodern world and the New Reformation that is engaging the emerging realities in this world.    McNeal says, "The first Reformation was about freeing the church.  The new Reformation is about freeing God's people from the church (the institution)." 
  I'm ready for that.  I think I'll help with that.  I think that's what my blog is for.
The Present Future is a keeper; I think I'll be referencing it a lot, because sure enough, Reggie McNeal speaks for me.

No comments: