Saturday, July 4, 2015

Happy Rebellion Day

It is Independence Day and I am reminded again that independence is rooted in rebellion. Early American protest turned to resistance, then subversion and then rebellion and war.  And it ended with freedom.

I came to this awareness on the first July Fourth after my exile from the church.  I had protested bad decisions that my church leaders were making.  They said I should submit to authority.  I said, "Which authority, you or God? "   "You or the by-laws of the church? " 
gave my friends permission to protest their church leadership in accordance with provisions of the church constitution.  My actions were seen as subversive and rebellious, and they were.  I was asked to leave.

To me it just seemed really silly - if not hypocritical - for one Protestant to tell another Protestant that he must not protest.  Huh?  Where did we get the title "Protestant"?  Protestantism is rooted in rebellion.  But the end of it was only partial freedom.  Freedom from the old Catholic oppression and bondage to the newer Protestant oppression.

Anyway, I am a free man today.  Free from institutional oppression by government and religion.

So, happy Rebellion Day, everybody!  Enjoy your freedom.


No comments: